In August 1901, a state-of-the-art tram line was officially opened in and around Taunton.
The electric tram was the newest means of transport which was to run from the junction of Alfred Street and East Reach to Rowbarton at an estimated cost of £11,000.
A grander idea linking surrounding villages was cut short, but contractors R Blackwell and Sons completed the work in August and 2,000 people traveled there on the first evening.
By 1905 the track had become uneven and in need of full relief and services were suspended for eight weeks and after an extension was laid from the station at Salisbury Street to Rowbarton bringing the length to 1.66 miles.
The line and system were doomed after the Great War as the cost of electricity had risen dramatically and the electricity was interrupted and shut down in 1921.
Despite its closure in 1921, it was not until 2015 that the last pole of the city’s tram line was dismantled.
Known as the Cast Iron Stallion, was removed from his home in Greenway Crescent.
The standard, used to carry the overhead line, was believed to be the last remaining in the town, with another at Bishops Lydeard.
The post had lived part of its life as a lamp post and has now been taken down to spend time at the Somerset Heritage Center in Norton Fitzwarren.