Prime Minister Narendra Modi is ready to dedicate the first locomotive production unit of Indian Railways to the Gujarat nation. Today, PM Modi will lay the foundation stone of the Dahod workshop at the manufacturing unit for the production of 9000 hp locomotives. These locomotives are equipped with a digital tracking system (Kavach), which is an automatic train protection system. These locomotives must be manufactured using green energy and have a green manufacturing label. With these locomotives, there will be a reduction in logistics costs and decongestion of congested tracks by improving the average speed and loading capacity of freight trains. The 9000 HP locomotive is capable of carrying a load of 4500 tons of freight. Here are some salient features and benefits of this locomotive production unit:
- It would be the first production unit of Indian Railways in Gujarat and the fourth in India to manufacture locomotives
- This upgraded unit will manufacture 1200 9000 horsepower locomotives with a speed potential of 120 km per hour
- This locomotive manufacturing unit will reinforce Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s vision of promoting self-reliance in railway manufacturing and technological upgrading of Indian Railways.
- With this locomotive production unit, the economy of Gujarat is expected to get a major boost by creating opportunities for setting up auxiliary industrial units
- It will generate 3500 direct jobs as well as 7000 indirect jobs with industrial growth in the state of Gujarat
- There will be a technical skills upgrade for 1,500 Indian Railways employees through training and supervision by a technology partner
- In this production unit, standard gauge locomotives are to be manufactured for the international market and broad gauge locomotives for the Indian Railways.
- Manufacturing of the locomotives will be done under the supervision of a technology partner under the Modi government’s ‘Make in India’ initiative
- The first locomotive is expected to leave the factory in the first quarter of 2024