Stations mark 180th anniversary of Manchester-Sandbach rail line

0

RAIL enthusiasts celebrate the 180th anniversary of the Manchester-Sandbach line.

Banners and posters capturing the historic stage can be seen by passengers at the ticket office and on the platforms at Handforth station.

The Manchester to Birmingham Railway Company was founded in 1839.

READ > Thousands of beacons will celebrate the Queen’s Platinum Jubilee

Banners celebrate the 180th anniversary of the Manchester-Sandbach line

The Friends of Handforth Railway Station have secured funding from Handforth City Council and the Manchester Community Rail Partnership to create the historic exhibits.

Friends of Station Groups along the line at Wilmslow, Alderley Edge and Holmes Chapel are also celebrating the anniversary in the same way.

Headboards have also been designed for trains running on the line through Friends of Handforth Station.

The first public service, a steam train, between Manchester and Sandbach was reported on Saturday 14th May 1842 by the Manchester Courier and Lancashire General Advertiser.

Knutsford Guardian: Historical exhibits are on display inside the ticket office at Handforth stationHistorical exhibits are on display inside the ticket office at Handforth station

The second section of the line, 21 miles long between Stockport and Sandbach, welcomed its first passengers on May 10, 1942.

A newspaper recorded the historic event in a report, stating: ‘The company started three trains a day each way between Manchester and Sandbach; those of Manchester at half-past seven in the morning, half-past one in the afternoon, and half-past six in the evening; those of Sandbach at eight o’clock in the morning, eleven mornings and five afternoons.

Knutsford Guardian: Old photographs capture the historic step in exhibits on the platform at Handforth StationiOld photographs capture the historic milestone in exhibits on the Handforth Stationi platform

“On Sundays there will only be two trains each way, from Manchester eight morning and six evening and from Sandbach eight morning and half past seven in the evening.”

All trains stopped at stations along the route, including Rushford, Cheadle, Handford (as it was then known), Wilmslow, Alderley, Chelford and Holmes Chapel.

Share.

About Author

Comments are closed.