The ‘Stamford’ steam locomotive will remain at Rutland’s Rocks by Rail museum

0


A steam locomotive called “Stamford” stays in Rutland thanks to successful fundraising.

Built in 1927, the Stamford is one of the few steam locomotives to have operated in the iron quarries of Rutland to survive and be preserved.

After retiring in 1969, the locomotive went to the Bluebell Railway in East Sussex.

Museum Administrator David Atkinson hands final installment to Bluebell Railway Locomotive Engineering Director Paul Russell to secure purchase of the locomotive called “Stamford”

It was during a loan to the Rocks by Rail Museum in Cottesmore that the directors decided to launch a fundraising campaign to acquire “Stamford” so that it could be displayed to the public near to where it was held. spent his professional life.

The ‘Stamford’ buying campaign meant raising £ 5,000, part of the funds to be used for catering.

Ian Smeeton, a museum volunteer, said: “The museum administrators would like to thank the Cottesmore Parish Council, museum members and the public for donating to secure the purchase of the locomotive.

Loco 'Stamford' in 1966. Photo: Rocks by Rail
Loco ‘Stamford’ in 1966. Photo: Rocks by Rail

“Although the purchase price has been increased, the appeal fund will remain open and the museum would be happy to receive any further donations, large or small, that would allow us to secure the repair of this historic 94 year old steam locomotive. . and preserved.

Rocks by Rail, the Living Ironstone Museum, is located at Cottesmore Iron Ore Mines Sidings, near Ashwell Road, Cottesmore.




Share.

About Author

Comments are closed.