Tragedy on the Railroad in the Summer of 1918 | Yesterday, today | Western lawyer




The group performed for the two funerals of the two railway workers killed at the locomotive the day before. The photo shows the members of the marching band marching to meet the hearse to join the funeral procession. War was still raging in Europe and the Middle East in 1918 when this photo was taken in Bathurst. The NSW government railways were under some pressure to transport soldiers and supplies to Sydney and across the state. Train accidents were not uncommon, but losing two men was a tragedy, especially in Bathurst. The two railway workers were buried the day after the incident, Wednesday February 13, 1918. Walter Hoskins’ funeral moved from his last residence to Lower Russell Street at 4:15 pm. The Bathurst District Marching Band marched past the hearse and performed the March of the Dead. The procession was long, which showed that the greatest sympathy was felt for the grieving widow and her family of six children. Interment took place in Kelso cemetery. The remains of the late Charles Bradley were taken to Bathurst Cemetery for interment later in the afternoon. The Bathurst Times reported on the engine crash on February 12, 1918. “Within minutes of the men resuming work in the locomotive sheds at the east end of Bathurst marshalling yard, a double fatality occurred. is produced. Mr. Charles Bradley, Chief Fitter, along with two assembly workers, Walter Hoskins and George Tooby, were in charge of the “big end” hitch on engine No. 1295, which was an improved North British type of the T class was the subject of conversation around the city and expressions of great sadness had been expressed on all sides. “It looks like they had their heads down and they were using two big crowbars to pinch the plunger. back, so that the bar the men were wielding struck them with lightning rapidity. “Bradley and Hoskins were both hit on the head with the bar. Death was felt to be instantaneous. The third man, Tooby, was punched in the body just below the arms and was thrown back several feet. . Two fingers were cut off and he passed out. ” Dr Busby was contacted and promptly attended the scene. In the case of Bradley and Hoskins, life was declared extinct, while Tooby was rushed to the Bathurst District Hospital with all possible haste on horseback and cart. The condition of the latter was very serious and it was thought that it could prove to be fatal. A crowd of railway workers gathered at the scene within seconds. The sight of the heads of the unfortunate men made three young people faint. They were taken home on stretchers. Charles Bradley was a widower of about 40, residing on Havannah Street, and had been employed as head fitter at the Bathurst hangars for many years. He was an excellent tenor singer. Walter Hoskins was a middle-aged man who lived with his wife and six young children on Russell Street. Fri. Archdeacon Howell and Reverend WMM Woodhouse attended the scene shortly after the event and before the bodies of the dead were transported to the hospital morgue. Superintendent Mills was handling the affairs from a police perspective, in preparation for the coroner’s inquest to be called.




About Author

Comments are closed.