The Ottoman Railway Company, based in Izmir, operated in the south and southeast of the Aegean region between 1856 and 1935 and built the Izmir-Aydin railway line (full name Izmir (Alsancak) – Aydın Railway and Branches), which was the first railway line in Anatolia. and operate a British railway company.
The ORC company quickly dominated the railway industry in Izmir and its environs, with the privilege it received from the Ottoman government. The aim of the company was to facilitate export by bringing more quickly the mines mined in the south and the southeast of the Aegean region and various agricultural products (in particular figs) cultivated in the plains of Küçük Menderes and Büyük Menderes at the port of Izmir. From 1912, the company built branch lines to the cities of Izmir (Ödemiş and Tire), as well as the extension of the main railway line first to Denizli, then to Eğirdir. However, it failed to achieve its first goal, Konya, and continued to operate as a regional rail company. In addition, the company played an important role in the commuter train service operated in the south of Izmir. In 1912, 3 suburban train lines (Buca, Seydiköy, demiş) were operated by the company.
ORC was bought and dissolved by TCDD in 1935, and the lines and stations it operated began to be operated by TCDD. Today, the successor of the İzmir – Aydın railway line is the İzmir-Alsancak – Eğirdir railway line.
The Ottoman government gave the ORC company the concession to build the Izmir-Aydın railway line on September 22, 1856 and operate it for 50 years. It was initially agreed that the line would come into service on October 1, 1860 and the concession was valid from that date. However, given that the time and cost of construction were neglected and the starting capital of £ 1.2million was too low, it was not possible for the line to be fully operational until 1866.
The first part of the line, between Alsancak – Seydiköy, was put into service on October 30, 1858. This line was the first in Anatolia and the second oldest railway line after the Alexandria – Cairo railway line , which was commissioned in the Province of Egypt in 1856, on the edge of the Ottoman Empire. ORC was able to extend the line to Eğirdir in 1912 by obtaining additional concessions. In addition, the company acquired ownership of the Şirinyer – Buca railway branch, which it has operated since 1921, in 1870.
The company’s goal was to deliver and export more quickly the mines mined in the south and southeast of the Aegean region and various agricultural products grown in the plains of Küçük Menderes and Büyük Menderes to the port of Izmir. However, the density of this line was not enough to generate large income, and the business did not generate large profits. At this point, the only way out for the company was to extend the railway line into the interior of Anatolia, but the company failed to secure the concession to build a railway line to the interior of Anatolia. Afyonkarahisar or Konya. In fact, rail concessions were highly political decisions and British voters did not want their government to help the Ottoman Empire build a railway line, as this was against British interests in India and the Middle East. However, on the other hand, when the company Chemins de Fer Ottomans d’Anatolie (Turkish: Osmanlı Anadolu Railways; report brand: CFOA) obtained a concession to build railways in Afyonkarahisar and Konya, the company ORC made pressure on the Ottoman government to extend the railway line. line it operates. He was active.
As a result, ORC acted more like a colonial railway company and aimed to connect its hinterland with a major port (Izmir port) to facilitate the export of raw materials and agricultural products and the import of products. ORC was unable to play a role in the integration of important cities such as Izmir and Konya, such as in the Izmir-Basmane – Kasaba (Turgutlu) (SCR & SCP) railway line, due to poor planning in the Ottoman Empire.
Stations and facilities
There were numerous stations and facilities on the ORC main railway line. Alsancak station was the one with the largest facility among the stations. When the Alsancak maintenance workshop was commissioned, it was the largest maintenance workshop on the borders of the Ottoman Empire. Many cities also had small warehouses of goods next to stations. ORC had two locomotive maintenance shops in Alsancak and Denizli, and railcar maintenance shops in Alsancak, Cumaovası, Tire, Aydın, Denizli and Dinar.
Line sections and opening dates
|Road||Distance||Years of service||To visit|
|Izmir-Alsancak Station – Şirinyer – Gaziemir||13,965 km|
|Gaziemir – Seydiköy||1,400 km|
|Gaziemir – Torbalı||34,622 km|
|Torbali – Selçuk||28,477 km|
|Selçuk – Partners – Aydın station (End of the line planned)||52,948 km|
|Sirinyer – Buca||2,700 km|
|Aydin – Kuyucak||56,932 km|
|Kuyucak – Sarayköy||43,825 km|
|Sarayköy – Goncalı – Rice pudding – Dinar|
|Goncali Station – Denizli||9,409 km|
|Rice pudding – Çivril||30,225 km|
|Partners – Söke station||22,012 km|
|Dinar – Gümüşgün – Bozanönü – Eğirdir Station||95,275 km|
|Torbali – Forks – Odemis Station||61,673 km|
|Fork – Tire Station||8,657 km|